Teaching Abroad

Teaching Abroad

Scholarships and Programs to Teach Abroad

Organized by:
Fulbright Scholarship ETA Program: Fulbright Website

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program places outstanding U.S. students--graduating seniors, recent graduates, and graduate students--in classrooms abroad to provide assistance to local English teachers. ETAs help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for the U.S. Applicants for English Teaching Assistant Programs can apply to only one country. ETAs are typically placed outside of capital cities and are integrated into the host community, often in an area with limited access to native English speakers. Host institutions range from elementary/secondary schools to university-level language departments, and the grant period corresponds to the academic year in the host country; it pays for airfare and living expenses. Application requirements vary by country, but countries in Europe typically required at least 2 years of college language study; countries in Asia and some other areas do not have language requirements. After carefully reviewing the website, students with an outstanding academic record who are interested in applying for this scholarship should contact Rowan's Fulbright Program Advisor, Dr. Christina Solomon, solomonca@rowan.edu. Applications are due at the beginning of October.

Teaching English Programs Sponsored by Governments and Foundations (by Country):

Austria: U.S. Teaching Assistantships at Austrian Secondary Schools: U.S. Teaching Assistantships Website

This program sends U.S. college graduates to teach conversational English for up to two years in Austrian secondary schools. Most students are placed outside of the major cities, and teaching assistants are expected to teach for about 13 hours/week, with additional time devoted to class preparation. Airfare is not included, but the program pays about $1500 month towards living expenses as well as health insurance. Students may apply as graduating seniors provided they will have their degree by August 20 for assignments beginning Oct 1. Although this is not a Fulbright grant, it is sponsored and administered by the Fulbright Austria Commission, and applications are typically due in mid-January. 

Chile: English Opens Doors Program in Chile: English Opens Doors
This program, sponsored by the Chilean government, places graduates (up to 35 years old) in middle or high schools throughout Chile for a semester or a year. The program provides training, room and board through a homestay, insurance, and a very small stipend, but it doesn't pay for airfare and you would need to have additional money for expenses. Applicants are not required to know Spanish (though it's helpful), and the program includes an online Spanish program for those who need it, but they do state that applicants show have some international travel experience. TEOSL certification is not required. Applications are due in November to begin the following March and December for the year-long program, which begins in April. You could also apply in March to begin in July.

Ameson Year in China: Ameson website

This program to teach English in China is sponsored by the Ameson Foundation, a non-profit, non-governmental organization committed to the advancement of cultural and educational exchange. Ameson offers an opportunity for college graduates to spend a year teaching English at public schools across China. The program provides free housing, a salary of about $800 per month; a $1,200 trave allowance (paid at the completion of the program, i.e. you have to buy the ticket), health insurance, some Chinese language training, a Chinese work visa and residence permit, airport pickup, and ongoing support. Applicants are not required to have teaching certification or experience, and Ameson provides a free 120-hour courses in TEFL training and certification as part of the program. Participants teach in small or large cities across China, usually middle school or younger high school students, for about 20 hours/week; they are also expected to support students' activities and engage in the community. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but since participants travel to China in August, it's best to apply by May or even earlier if possible to assure you recieve a visa in time. Information about the application process, which includes an interview, can be found on the website.
China Educational Association of International Exchange CEAIE
This program, which is supported by the Institute of International Education (IIE), aims to "promote language exchange and mutual understanding among young people at home and abroad, and to improve foreign language education in Chinese schools" by offering certified teachers as well as students with a B.A. an opportunity to teach in China for 12 months. Students with teaching and travel experience are more competitive, but applications are accepted from all students with a B.A. (with a preference for English majors) who are interested in international education and China. Applicants who do not have teaching certification will participate in a 60-hour online certification class  and a two-week training session in China; the program covers the cost for the online and the in-person training. The program also pays for airfare, free housing, a monthly salary equal to Chinese teachers’ salaries, insurance, and visas. Applications are typically due in early May.

Czech Republic: Academic Information Agency: AIA

This government agency helps college graduates find jobs teaching English in primary and secondary schools in the Czech Republic, mainly in small towns, i.e. outside of Prague. These are academic year positions mainly for teaching conversation classes, about 24 hours/week. Knowledge of Czech is not required; while teaching and/or ESL certification is preferred, college graduates who are not certified will be considered. Teachers are paid the same wages as Czech teachers, and the school will provide free or very low-cost housing. Airfare is not included.

France: Teach in France: Teach in France Website

The Teaching Assistant Program in France (TAPIF), run by the French government, provides an opportunity for students with at least three years of college and graduate students to serve as English-language instructors in French schools. This program is looking for students to teach English, providing a native speaker presence in French schools while also providing American students interested in France with teaching experience and first-hand knowledge of French language and culture. Teaching contracts last 7 months (October 1st - April 30th); the program pays for living expenses, but not airfare, and teaching assistants are responsible for making their own living arrangements. Proficiency in the French language is required--at least two years of college-level French--and the deadline to apply is January 15.

Georgia: Teach and Learn With Georgia: TLG.gov

This program, initiated by the Georgian government, seeks out motivated native English, French, and German speakers to co-teach their language with local teachers in Georgian public schools to improve Georgian students' foreign language proficiency. This program, which typically lasts for one year, offers a stipend that covers housing and living expenses, airfare to and from Georgia, medical care, and a mobile phone plan. Some participants will have home stays while others will stay in apartments. Applicants must be a native speaker of English language, have at least two years of post-secondary education, pass a criminal background check, and pass a medical exam. At the end of the program, all participants will receive a signed certificate from the Georgian Minister of Science and Education.

Hong Kong: Native Speaker English Teacher (NET) Scheme: NET

Despite the unfortunate name, this is a government-run program that places certified English and ESL teachers in Hong Kong's public sector elementary and secondary schools. The program has been in operation for over a decade. According to websites such as Teaching English in Hong Kong, the application process is "long and grueling" as well as competitive, but successful applicants receive good pay (with higher pay for applicants with more credentials), a housing allowance, and a secure job. From the website, it appears that applicants must be certified teachers who also have TESL/TEFL certification from a course should included a minimum of 100 contact hours. Degrees in English are preferred, but qualified students from other majors will be considered. Applications are due in mid-January to begin teaching in the fall.

Japan: JET Program to teach in Japan: JET Website

The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program is a scholarship program that sends graduating seniors and recent graduates to Japan in order to enhance internationalization and mutual understanding through teaching English. The grant includes airfare and living expenses as well as an orientation and ESL workshop at the beginning of the program. Applicants from all majors are eligible to apply; teacher training and Japanese language skills are not required (though beneficial). Participants chosen to be an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) will have the opportunity to teach English in public and private elementary, junior high, and senior high schools in Japan, and they may elect to stay longer than a year. Applications for the JET program are typically due in November. 

EPIK (English Program in Korea): EPIK Website

The English Program in Korea, sponsored by the South Korean Department of Education, government, sends graduating seniors and college graduates to South Korea to teach English in elementary, middle, and high schools. Applicants who are accepted to this program sign a contract that includes a mandatory orientation and offers a stipend and airfare as well as a free furnished studio apartment, a "settlement" payment, and a one-month severance pay at the end of the contract. Applicants must have either teaching certification through an undergraduate or graduate program or a B.A. in any subject with teaching English as a second language certification (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA). Applications are typically due in February for fall placement and August for spring placements.

TaLK, Teach and Learn in Korea: TaLK Website

Teach and Learn in Korea, or TaLK, program is a scholarship opportunity sponsored by the Korean government for undergraduate students who wish to gain professional and educational experience in the Republic of Korea. Students are placed in schools across Korea in metropolitan areas. While in these schools, students will teach Grades 1-6 as an English instructor. The program places emphasis on awarding the scholarship to Education and English majors entering their junior or senior year of study or recently graduated undergraduates; students in any major may apply. Scholars are expected to work for one year under contract for an average of 15 hours per week. Scholars will receive airfare, accommodation, a stipend for living expenses, a one month orientation, medical insurance, and vacation leave.


Meddeus Meddeus

Meddeus offers recent graduates in any field with an interest in teaching--but not necessarily teaching experience--an opportunity to teach conversational English as a language assistant in a private school in Spain for a year. Spanish is helpful, but not required, and students have some input into where they're placed in Spain as well as what age students they prefer: elementary, middle, or high school. Participants will work 20 hours per week teaching conversational English. While the Meddeus program does not pay for airfare, it provides help locating housing (host family with board or independent housing) and pays a monthly stipend as well as health insurance; the program also offers some training and a certified course related to TEFL. Students with a degree in Education or English are eligible for a higher salary, here for details. Applications seem to be due in early December.

North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain: North American Language & Culture Website

The Language and Culture Assistants program is coordinated by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science in collaboration with the Spanish Comunidades Autonomas (regions) and educational authorities. It provides college upperclassmen and recent graduates with at least intermediate level Spanish an opportunity to visit Spain and become acquainted with the Spanish educational system through teaching English. The weekly requirement of the assistants is a minimum of 12 class hours (in some regions it could be 16 hours), all of which are spent assisting the classroom teacher. The scholarship recipient and the classroom teacher (or the institution's Head Teacher) may agree upon other tasks or responsibilities for the language assistants to complete, such as attend meetings, give talks or conferences and participate in extracurricular activities, such as field trips, school exchanges, school plays, concerts or sports tournaments. Teaching assistants may work in Spanish elementary, middle and high schools as well as Escuelas Oficiales de Idiomas (Official adult schools of foreign languages) located in all the regions throughout Spain. Prior experience living or studying abroad is helpful but not required; similarly, coursework in education, ESL, or related fields is helpful but not required. Intermediate to advanced knowledge of the Spanish language is required. The grant pays for living expenses in Spain, but not travel to and from Spain. Applications are due at the beginning of April.

If you're torn between which program to apply for, look for reviews and articles on the Internet, e.g. a 2014 comparison article, http://www.athingforwords.com/auxiliar-de-conversacion/teaching-programs-in-spain-ministry-vs-meddeas/.

Thailand: Teach Thailand Corps: Teach in Thailand

The Teach Thailand Corps, established by the American-Thai and Yonak Foundations, places graduates in elementary and high schools in less-developed provinces in Thailand to teach English and other subjects Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 4.30 pm. They have both short-term and year-long programs, but the short-term program does not provide any salary or housing benefits. The year-long program, by contrast, provides training, including a language and culture orientation, teaching preparation, ongoing support, housing, a monthly stipend, domestic work-related travel, work permit, and visa. The foundation does not pay for airfare, and you would probably need some additional funds . The application deadline for the short-term program is rolling, and the application for the fall-cycle is December 31, 2017; the spring-cycle deadline is March 31 (with priority given to applications submitted earlier).  

Resources for Certified Teachers Who Want to Teach Overseas:

  • Certified teachers who want to obtain teaching positions overseas should start with the State Department's website, Teaching Overseas. The site includes:
    • Links to information about jobs at schools for the children of State Department employees.
    • Information about jobs at Department of Defense schools for children of U.S. military personnel.
    • Links and contact information for schools around the world, including international and private schools.
    • Links to reputable non-profit organizations that charge fees to place teachers. Certified teachers may find information about teaching overseas through International School Services, for example, but applicants for jobs are required to join ISS, which costs $195 for a two-year membership.
    • Another organization, The International Educator for Certified Teachers, has a website that offers a lot of information about being hired as a K-12 teacher abroad, but applying for any position requires a subscription, which costs $39/year.
  • Teachers with at least five years experience can apply to teach abroad through the Fulbright Distinguished Teaching Award, which offers both long-term and short-term opportunities.

  • Check with your education professors for more information about obtaining full-time teaching positions abroad.

  • There are MANY companies that offer placement services for certified teachers. Of course exercise extreme caution, research extensively, and SPEAK TO AT LEAST TWO TEACHERS WHO HAVE USED THE SERVICE before signing up. Articles with tips about using these services include "How to pick a good teacher recruitment company"

RVF International offers a distinguished English teaching program across Spain, tailored to cultivate professional growth and intercultural fluency. Their participants are placed in a variety of Spanish educational institutions, where they work between 16 to 20 hours per week, from Monday to Thursday, allowing for a balanced professional and personal life. The teaching experience offers a generous stipend ranging from €800 to €1000, varying by region, along with full health insurance coverage provided by the regional administrations. The teachers receive extensive immigration assistance from the RVF Staff, including help with visa applications, setting up bank accounts, and finding suitable housing, along with teacher training and workshops.
RVF International's commitment to their educators extends beyond logistical support, ensuring that each participant is fully integrated into the local community and educational system. Their dedication to facilitating a rewarding teaching experience is evident through their comprehensive support and the rich opportunities they offer for cultural immersion.

Private (No-Fee) Companies for Teaching Abroad:

Berlitz: Berlitz

Berlitz is a private company that offers English as a second language classes to teens and adults (and occasionally children) in most countries throughout the world. You can see the list of jobs available to teach world languages in the US (including Philadelphia) and Canada at the website above. To find opportunities in another country, Google "Berlitz Japan" or whatever country you're interested in. The company is run as a franchise, so each country will have different requirements and conditions--and more (or less) helpful websites. The program in Japan, for example, offers a three-month training program to potential teachers. Most, but not all, cities in China require a TEFL/TESOL certificate as well as "working experience." Berlitz in Germany also provides information about the application process; however, some countries just list email addresses, making it difficult to find information without contacting them. Applicants for all teaching positions must have a B.A., but teaching experience isn't necessarily required. If you're interested in applying, of course exercise due diligence and research the program to the specific country that interests you very carefully, making sure that you understand the terms and conditions of employment, housing, visas, etc. to make sure that it's a good fit for you.

EF English First (China, Indonesia, Russia): EF English First
EF English First is a privately owned education company that offers jobs teaching English as a Second Language in China, Indonesia, and Russia; you can choose to teach children, teens, or adults in your preferred country. They are looking for teachers with Bachelor’s Degrees in any subject, and teaching/ESL experience is not required. Salary and benefits vary depending on the position you are interested in: a few include airfare, but most don't. Standard benefits include health insurance, paid holidays, airport pick-up, help with securing a legal work visa, and an ESL training and development program. If you're interested, after researching the company to make sure it's right for you, apply online; there's no application fee.

HESS Program to Teach English in Asia: HESS Website

The Hess International Educational Group (referred to as HESS) is a not a scholarship, but rather a company that sends college graduates to teach English in Taiwan, China, Korea, and Singapore for a full year (or more). The HESS programs include all-English and bilingual preschools, two streams of elementary school (one each for those who have and haven't learned English in preschool), junior high school, adult and corporate education programs, overseas study tours, and services supporting the arrangement of long-term overseas study placements. Teachers receive training, a TEFL certificate, and a salary, with bonuses and raises for students who stay longer than a year. Airfare is generally not reimbursed. Applications are accepted year-round, so there is no deadline to apply.

Websites about Teaching Abroad

Dave’s ESL Café: Dave's ESL Cafe

Dave’s ESL Café is a website offering hundreds of resources for graduates who are interested in teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language in another country. The site list ESL job openings in a wide range of countries (with separate sections for jobs in Korea and China), as well as forums  to discuss jobs and language-teaching issues with other teachers. It also has resources for ESL classrooms include quizzes, pronunciation guides, and grammar lessons, teaching and lesson-planning tips, and links to other ESL teaching websites. The jobs listed widely from university to private school positions, but in all cases, of course be sure to research each position that interests you extremely carefully: look for independent reviews, contact people who held the job previously, etc., and if you're offered the job, be sure to read contracts very carefully to make sure you understand the terms and benefits of your employment. In addition, be sure to heed the warning written across the top of all job postings: **WARNING: Avoid scams by NEVER paying fees for a teaching position and stay far away if payment is requested (especially Western Union).

 GoAbroad, Teaching Abroad: Teach Abroad Website

GoAbroad.com is a searchable website that includes links to hundreds of programs to teach abroad. The website offers information about teaching opportunities in numerous countries around the world including popular destinations such as Spain, China, Japan, France, etc. There are links to programs ranging from paid government-run programs to private companies, many of which offer TESOL certification, and many of the programs are reviewed. Of course it's extremely important to exercise due diligence with all of these programs, especially programs run by private companies that charge fees. Before signing up with one of the programs that charge for TESOL certification, for example, it's critically important to research it very thoroughly-read all the fine print to see what the fees are - and exactly what you will get in return - and search the Internet for independent reviews of the program or company.

Go Overseas: Go Overseas Website

This website lists numerous programs to teach abroad with reviews by participants. Some of the program are already listed on this website (EPIK, JET, Fulbright to Germany, and the programs in Spain and France), but the site includes information and links to year-long programs in other countries as well. Of course check each company and each positions very carefully. There shouldn't be any application fees, for example, and look for indepenent reviews of the program on the web. Remuneration varies per program, but the positions typically pay enough to cover living expenses for the year and occasionally include airfare. Deadlines are typically in January to teach abroad starting that fall.

Fee-Based Teaching Abroad Organizations 
(These programs offer training and support that can be valuable, especially to teach in countries that don't offer government programs--and/or if you didn't get accepted into programs that don't have fees--but obviously, graduates who wish to teach abroad should first apply for programs listed above that do not require fees)

CIEE Teach English Abroad: CIEE Website

CIEE, a non-profit that was founded in 1947, runs a variety of programs that place students in teaching positions in countries in Spain, China, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Chile, Peru, and Dominican Republic. Applicants pay a fee-usually about $2000 for a year-long placement-and although they offer several different programs, students typically teach English for 15-20 hours week. The fee includes health insurance, support in the country, help with the visa, placement, help with locating an apartment (or in some cases, accommodations are included), etc. The positions pay enough to cover living expenses, but in most (though not all) cases, airfare is not included. Compensation packages tend to be most generous in the Asian countries. Be sure to read the requirements carefully: some programs do not require TESL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification and others pay for students to take CIEE's TESL on-line course, but some programs require TESL certification without paying for it. CIEE's online TESL course runs $300-$1000, which would be in addition to the program fee. Deadlines are rolling.

Volunteer Teaching through WorldTeach: World Teach

World Teach offers year-long teaching programs to a number of countries, including Namibia, American Samoa, Marshall Islands, China, and Equador as well as summer programs to additional countries. The programs in the the Marshall Islands and American Samoa are the best options as they're fully funded, including airfare; the programs to Namibia and Equador require a $2500 fee (which doesn't include airfare) and China is even more expensive for some reason. Their programs offer seem to vary from year to year, so check the website for the current programs.