CUGS - Japanese

CUGS - Japanese

Certificate of Undergraduate Study (CUGS) in Japanese


CUGS in Japanese Program Guide
Application for Completion of CUG

Christine Larsen-Britt
Program Advisor
Bunce Hall, Suite 218

Chie Matsumura Dusk
Program Mentor
Bunce Hall 351B
856-256-4500 x53235

The Certificate of Undergraduate Study (CUGS) in Japanese (Major Code U104), which may be declared either in the department of World Languages in Bunce Hall, Suite 305, or with Christine Larsen-Britt ( of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Dean's Office, Bunce Hall, Suite 257, recognizes students' completion of 12 s.h. in Japanese, which corresponds to Intermediate-level proficiency in the language. Intermediate-level proficiency in a foreign language is a valuable credential, as it represents the ability to live independently in a foreign country with a substantial degree of success. In general, according to the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), Intermediate-level speakers are able to create with the language, combining and recombining learned material to provide personal information, speak in sentences on a variety of familiar topics, ask questions, and initiate, sustain and conclude a simple social or transactional task.

Certificate of Undergraduate Study in Japanese 12 s.h.
The requirements include the following four, 3 s.h. courses:
JAPA 08.101 Elementary Japanese I
JAPA 08.102 Elementary Japanese II
JAPA 08.201 Intermediate Japanese I
JAPA 08.211 Intermediate Japanese II

Students may satisfy program requirements through coursework completed at Rowan University, transfer credits obtained from coursework at other institutions, study abroad, and credits obtained through Advanced Placement (up to 6 s.h. are accepted at Rowan in place of "Elementary Japanese I" and "Elementary Japanese II"). Credits obtained from higher level coursework in Japanese may also be transferred in to substitute for any of the four courses listed above.

All courses must be passed with a letter grade of "C-" or better and no courses may be taken P/NC. Students planning to Study Abroad must meet with the Coordinator in order to determine course equivalents.