Conc/CUGS in Russian

Conc/CUGS in Russian

Concentration/CUGS in Russian

Harold Thompson
Academic Advisor
Contact the Academic Advisor via e-mail with any questions about the program. 

The Modern Languages & Linguistics Major Concentration / Certificate of Undergraduate Study (CUGS) in Russian (12 s.h.) recognizes students’ completion of 12 s.h. in Russian, which corresponds to Intermediate-level proficiency in the language.  Intermediate-level proficiency in a world language is a valuable credential, as it represents the ability to live independently in a foreign country where the target language is spoken.  In general, according to the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), Intermediate-level speakers are able to create with the language, combining and recombining learned material to provide personal information, speak in sentences on a variety of familiar topics, ask questions, and initiate, sustain and conclude a simple social or transactional task. 

For students with the Major in Modern Languages & Linguistics (MLL), this credential is referred to as a Concentration; for non-MLL majors, this credential is referred to as a Certificate (CUGS). The Concentration in Russian may be declared in the Department of World Languages, Oak Hall 107 or by contacting the University Advising Center, Savitz Hall, Suite 323 (856.256.4459/  

The requirements include the following four, 3 s.h. courses: 

RUSS 06.101  Elementary Russian I
RUSS 06.102  Elementary Russian II (prerequisite RUSS 06.101 or waiver)
RUSS 06.201  Intermediate Russian I (prerequisite RUSS 06.102 or waiver)
RUSS 06.211  Intermediate Russian II (prerequisite RUSS 06.201 or waiver)

Students with existing proficiency in Russian should contact Ms. Olga Greendlinger ( for a placement interview.  It is possible for students to earn credits for the courses that they skip via the Authorization for Credit by Examination process. 

Students may satisfy program requirements through coursework completed at Rowan University, transfer credits obtained from coursework at other institutions, and study abroad.  Credits obtained from higher level coursework in Russian may also be transferred in to substitute for any of the four courses listed above. All courses must be passed with a letter grade of “C-” or better and no courses may be taken P/NC.  Students planning to study abroad must meet with the Program Advisor in order to determine course equivalents.