Conc/CUGS in Japanese

Conc/CUGS in Japanese

Concentration/CUGS in Japanese

Harold Thompson
Academic Advisor
Contact the Academic Advisor via e-mail with any questions about the program. 
Chie Matsumura Dusk
Program Mentor
Oak Hall 105
(Contact the Program Mentor with questions about placement testing, course content, and study abroad.)
The Modern Languages & Linguistics Major Concentration / Certificate of Undergraduate Study (CUGS) in Japanese (12 s.h.) recognizes students’ completion of 12 s.h. in Japanese, which corresponds to Intermediate-level proficiency in the language.  Intermediate-level proficiency in a world language is a valuable credential, as it represents the ability to live independently in a country where the target language is spoken.  In general, according to the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), Intermediate-level speakers are able to create with the language, combining and recombining learned material to provide personal information, speak in sentences on a variety of familiar topics, ask questions, and initiate, sustain and conclude a simple social or transactional task. 

For students with the Major in Modern Languages & Linguistics (MLL), this credential is referred to as a Concentration; for non-MLL majors, this credential is referred to as a Certificate (CUGS).  The Concentration in Japanese may be declared in the Department of World Languages, Oak Hall 107 or by contacting the University Advising Center, Savitz Hall, Suite 323 (856.256.4459 /

The requirements include the following four, 3 s.h. courses: 

JAPA 08.101   Elementary Japanese I
JAPA 08.102   Elementary Japanese II
JAPA 08.201   Intermediate Japanese I
JAPA 08.211   Intermediate Japanese II

Students with existing proficiency in Japanese should contact Chie Matsumura Dusk ( for a placement interview.  It is possible for students to earn credits for the courses that they skip via the Authorization for Credit by Examination process.  Contact Chie Matsumura Dusk ( for more details about this option.

Students may satisfy program requirements through coursework completed at Rowan University, transfer credits obtained from coursework at other institutions, study abroad, and credits obtained through Advanced Placement (up to 12 s.h. in place of “Elementary Japanese I,” “Elementary Japanese II,” “Intermediate Japanese I,” and “Intermediate Japanese II”).  Credits obtained from higher level coursework in Japanese may also be transferred in to substitute for any of the four courses listed above.  All courses must be passed with a letter grade of “C-” or better and no courses may be taken P/NC.  Students planning to study abroad must meet with the CUGS in Japanese Advisor in order to determine course equivalents.